Accessibility statement for The Library House
At The Library House we are committed to ongoing improvements and providing maximum accessibility for all our guests. Our objective is to make sure that these facilities can be enjoyed by disabled visitors in the same way as other visitors.
Our aim is to ensure diversity so that the environment here at The Library House is a comfortable, pleasant and happy experience for all.
However, please note that The Library House is a Grade II Listed Building in a Conservation Area and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Although accessibility is a priority there are certain features that may restrict full accessibility including four steps leading to the front door, first floor guest bedrooms and off site parking.
- We accept bookings by post, telephone and internet
- There is extensive information (written and photographic) on our website
- We can also supply a written brochure in larger print upon request
Arrival & car parking facilities
- A space is allocated at the front of the house to unload at the roadside
- There is a short walk of 10 metres from the roadside to the front door up a steep slope.
- There is a gate and three steps up to the front door.
- Help is available with luggage
- There are sensor lights at the front of the house
- Car parking is available off site; the closest location is a short walk of 10 minutes away
Main entrance, reception & ticketing area
- There is only one entrance to The Library House, through a side hung door (width 90cm)
- Steps to the gate each measure 13cm high
- Steps to the front door each measure 13cm high.
- The entrance hall measures 580cm x 240cm
- There is a level wooden floor to the entrance hall.
- A pen and pad are available on arrival, seating is also provided.The reception desk is 78cm high
- Natural Light and Up-lighters light the Entrance Hall
- We cannot cater for service dogs as we have a dog of our own.
- There are five doors from the Entrance Hall, two of which are for guest use. There are both side hung and measure 90cm each
- There is a light/dark colour contrast between doors and wall.
Public areas - hall, stairs, landing, corridors etc
- Stairs - there are 14 steps, all with a uniform height of 18cm and depth of 24cm, to the first floor. There is a polished handrail (colour contrasting) to one side of the staircase.
- The first floor guest corridor measures 120cm wide x 590cm long
- The stairs and corridor are carpeted
- There are seven doors off the guest corridor, three of which are for guest use.
- The doors are colour contrasting with colour contrasting signage.
Public areas - sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- There is a step up of height 20cm to the sitting room.
- The sitting room is level and carpeted, with colour contrast door.
- There is natural lights, ceiling lights and lamps in the sitting room
Restaurant / dining room, bar & bar area, take away & cafe
- There is a step up of 5cm high into the Breakfast Room
- The Breakfast Room has smooth level quarry tile flooring
- The aisle width is a minimum of 64cm
- Seating and tables are moveable.
- Tables are 75 cm high with legs at each corner.
- The seats of the chairs are 46cm high
- Staff help is available with menus upon request
- Table service is standard.
Bedrooms & sleeping areas
- There are no ground floor bedrooms as they are all located on the first floor.
- The fire alarms are centrally connected via wireless technology. They have lights and a loud siren. Evacuation procedures are clearly displayed in all rooms and in the event of an emergency guests are alerted.
- Staff assistance and familiarisation is offered.
- TVs have a remote control
- Seating is available in all rooms.
- Eliot: First Floor. 3 steps up to the entrance door, height of each step is 20cm and width 30cm. The entrance door is side hung with a width of 90cm. Carpeted flooring. Ceiling lights and lamps, as well as natural light. Zip-link bed. Colour contrasting decor and signage. Cordless kettle and colour contrasting critical surfaces.
- Milton: Small step of 2cm to entrance door, width is 80cm. Carpeted flooring. Ceiling lights and lamps as well as natural light. Super king size bed. Colour contrasting decor and signage. Cordless kettle and colour contrasting critical surfaces
- Chaucer: 2 steps up to entrance door of 22cm high and 25 cm deep. Doorway width is 80cam. Carpeted flooring. Natural light and lamps. Standard double bed. Colour contrasting decor and signage. Cordless kettle and colour contrasting critical surfaces. Door to garden, width 80cm with step down into garden of 30cm.
Bathroom, shower-room & WC (en-suite or shared)
- Eliot: En-suite 170cm x 220cm. Smooth tiled floor. Side hung door, width 65cm. Available unobstructed floor space. No support rails. Toilet, sink, bath. No alarm pull cord. 1 thermostatic shower head, adjustable height. Height of bath entry 55cm, thermostatic controls. Basin: thermostatic mixer. WC: Small transfer space, seat height 42cm. Colour contrasting fixtures and fittings.
- Milton: En-suite 240cm x 150 cm. Smooth laminate floor. Side hung door, width 65cm. Small unobstructed floor space. No support rails. Sink, Shower, Toilet. No alarm pull cord. Shower: 1 thermostatic shower head, adjustable. Shower tray size 120cm x 70cm. Twist/turn manual taps. Basin: thermostatic mixer. WC: Small transfer space, seat height 40cm. Colour contrasting fixtures and fittings
- Chaucer: En-suite 170cm x 260cm. Smooth tiled floor. Side hung door width 80cm. Small unobstructed floor space. No support rails. Bath, Toilet, Sink. No alarm pull cord. Bath height 53cm. Handheld shower/tap mixer - manually operated. Basin: separate taps. WC: Small transfer space, seat height 39cm. Colour contrasting fixtures and fittings.
- Evacuation procedures are clearly displayed in all rooms and can be verbally described upon request. Emergency lighting fitted.
- Summer staff trained in British Sign Language
- No service dogs accepted due to owner's dog.
- Limited mobile network
- No interconnecting
- Fridge available for medicine storage; special diets catered for upon request.
- Resident staff available at all times.
The Library House Bed & Breakfast
11, Severn Bank, Ironbridge
Nr Telford, Shropshire
Telephone: 01952 432299
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve.